Hi there,

The MZ-R900 is Sony's follow-up to the R90.  The R900 came out in Japan in
September, and judging by history, it should be out elsewhere within the
next few months.

Neither the R90 nor the R900 uses type-R.  If you'd really like a taste of
type-R, and you live in the US, the fast way is to buy a MDS-JE440 home deck
(often being sold for no more than $200).

There's no knowing which ATRAC version the latest Sony portables are - they
don't say.  However, for several years, Sony portables have been using
version 4.

I own a R900, before that I've been a long-time Sharp user, and I personally
still prefer Sharps.  Even though I'm quite familiar with the R900 already,
I still press the wrong buttons from time to time. Never did that on my
Sharp 831.

In both ATRAC and the "analog stage" Sony tends to reproduce sound as it is.
Sharp tends to alter sound slightly; a lot of us perceives Sharp as best for
pop/rock.

Leon