Dan said:

> Also, I was looking at the sharp MD-C2.

I own a Sharp MD-CD2.  I am very happy with it once you accept it's
limitations.  It is designed to be a complete all in one CD to MD copier.
There are no digital inputs or outputs (everything has to be done using the
Sharp's CD player (3 disc and the Sharp MD recorder/player (also 3 MDs).

The CD player is not a "super" tracker.  By that I mean that if you are the
kind of jerk like I am who spends a lot of money on CDs and then just leaves
them around to be to get all scratched, you may have trouble playing badly
scratched CDs.

But if you are like most people who respect their software (I am now very
respectful of my DVDs!) the player will work fine.

It will copy 3 CDs on to 3 MDs (digitally) at the press of a single button (if
you want to do it that way).  No, it is not high speed.  Just normal real time
recording.  But who cares!!  When you can put 3 CDs in your unit and then go
to sleep, leave for work or school etc. and when you come back you have 3
perfectly recorded MDs, to me that beats a high speed recorder any time!

The nice added feature is that it is both a CD changer and an MD changer.  It
will play 3 MDs one after the other.  You also have manual control over
editing functions (again if you are one of those jerks like me who hate to
read the instruction manual, you will have to spend some time learning how to
do this).

However if you take the time to read the book, it is filled with instructions.

The unit only has one set of jacks for an external analog source (such as a
VCR).  The unit can be lit up like a Christmas tree, or subdued by pressing
the dimmer on the remote.

Unlike most remotes that you find today, the remote has a limited number of
controls.  The only control that is really missing may or may not be important
to you.  It does not have the ability to tune in all stations.  Only those
that you preset.

The equalizer is again limited.  you don't have separate bass and treble
switches.  But this is fairly common with mini systems.  Instead you have
vocal, soft 1 and 2, flat, heavy 1 and 2.  There is a  "surround" button and
an X Bass.

The speakers are wood!! although not too heavy.  They are 3 way base reflex.

I got my unit from Mercata for just under $175 (which included shipping and
sales tax since there warehouse is in my state).  I bought it because we moved
from a large house to a small apartment and I could not use the complete
surround system that I used to have in my bedroom.

There is even a cassette recorder/player if you still use cassettes (maybe you
need them for the car).

I don't regret buying it for a minute.  Especially at the low price I paid.
It has a energy Star sticker and does not distort even at maximum volume.

Happy New Year everyone,
Larry