At 1/8/01 11:28 PM, J. Coon wrote:

>No, I haven't listened to it at all.  It is just that when I record
>something, I want it  to be very close the original.  MD is very close
>to CD quality.  However, from the reports of people that have posted
>their experiance to the list,  they can tell a difference between
>standard MD and LP mode.  As I recall, they said the extra long play
>mode on some of the units is only good for recording lectures.

I was one of those people that posted my opinion of LP. I did a short
comparison test between the LP and regular modes. I could hear a
difference between standard mode and LP2. But I had to listen for it.
This difference will probably not be apparent under normal listing
conditions. As a result I'm REALLY looking forward to being able to
install a MiniDisc head unit in my car that supports LP.

LP4 mode does make some noticeable impact on the sound quality. If your
hearing is damaged you may or may not notice a difference. But it's STILL
better than most MP3's I've heard.

In short, standard mode is for those times when sound quality is most
important, LP2 is great for day-to-day use, and LP4 is perfect for those
times when recording time is most important.

IMNSHO, units without LP are history.