> I beg to differ. The format is called MLP (Meridian Lossless Packing) and it
> is distributed by Dolby Labs. It can compress any PCM file, and yes, it is
> supposed to be used in DVD-A.

So if CDs can hold 74 minute of uncompressed audio with 650 Megabytes, a
(Single-sided, single-layered) DVD with 4.37 Gigs could hold...

    509 minutes (8.48 hours) of uncompressed (CD-quality) audio
    2545 minutes (42.4 hours) of MLP-compressed (CD-quality) audio
    5599 minutes (93.3 hours minimum) of MP3-compressed audio *

* I once read that MP3 gave compressions of 11:1 up to 20:1, but I don't
know what setting (bitrate, frequency, etc...) this is at.

Of course, none of this is related to MiniDisc, but interesting nonetheless.
- Anthony L.