> No.  In fact none do.  Conventional compression algorithms operate on
> fixed-size blocks of data.  Real-time compression of an audio stream is
> easilly possible with a bit of buffering.  The issue is not that but
> compressing fast enough so that the buffer is not overrun.

Well, in effect, the answer is yes. It does require a whole set of data
before compression, but to combat this, the data is split into blocks, and
each block is compressed individually from a buffer.

I'm wondering if you would get better compression by treating the whole
stream as 1 block, and then compressing that, or compression in many smaller
blocks. I guess it all depends on the compression used.