> Personally, I think buying anything that's more expensive than Radio Shack
> Gold Interconnects is a waste of money... but that's just me. Many people
> will tell you that buying $500 USD interconnects will make your system
> "shine, with added detail, sparkle, soundstage, fidelity, bass, treble,
> whatever". I say they should check inside their equipment, and see the
kind
> of cable inside. Whatever benefits expensive cable might bring will be
> zapped by everything else.
> Just my opinion....

Not just YOUR opinion though, mine too...
It's true that, when you pay £300 (so that's like $301 at the moment  :)
for a decent CD player, the last thing you want to use is the cruddy
interconnects that it comes with
Black zipwire, red and white plastic phonos at the ends...
But what is it that's actually wrong with them?

1.  Cross talk from poor RF insulation and isolation (cheap zipwire!)
2.  Poor or variable conductivity across phono plugs (aluminium conductors
which can oxidise in air)
3.  RF noise on cable, again caused by poor RF insulation
4.  Variable characteristics - the resistance of the 'red' cable can be
higher than the 'white' cable, for example (cheap zipwire, again - and
partly to do with the fact that usually they are using impure copper
conductors that are not oxygen-free, resulting in variable amounts of copper
oxides and other impurities in the signal path)

I did some shopping at Maplin (www.maplin.co.uk) and bought some cable and
some connectors and soldered myself some better interconnects.
Featuring Van Damme LC-OFC cable.  That's oxygen-free copper to you and me
to guarantee quoted resistance and capacitance per metre.  Meaning a
45-centimeter length of cable will have the same properties as another
45-centimeter length of cable.  And pretty meaty three-part insulation, one
part of which is conductive to improve RF screening around the screen
conductor in the cable.  And gold-plated phono connectors which require the
minimum of soldering (just one solder point- for the signal wire.  The
screen wire is clamped in part of the connector so is a solder-free
connection).
Price, £5 a meter including connectors.  Stereo pair for £10 a meter.

( $10.01 )

Sound quality - Top notch.  No cross talk (not with that amount of
insulation!), no crackling when jiggling the cables (ok, so you wouldn't
tend to waggle the cables around too much in a normal setup, but I'm just
saying, the zipwire interconnects crackle when rattled).  Remarkable
soundstage clarity, with a richer, fuller bass and sweet yet detailed
top-end   :)

Just my 2 pence  (2.07 cents)
Dx