[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Originally, Pro-logic was exclusive to movie theaters.

> Actually Dolby Surround preceeded Pro-logic.  Dolby Pro-logic is an
> improvement over "plain" Dolby Surround in that it added stearing logic to
> increase the separation between the channels (especially important for the
> center channel which was not providing enough separation from the right
> and left).

This because Dolby surround is a matrixed system and not discrete.  There
are limitations in channel separation when using matrixed schemes.  The
advent of home theater was born, I have read, came about kind of by
accident.

When prerecorded video tapes started coming out in stereo, the matrixed
sound track was automatically carried over on to the tape.  Since it it
"piggybacked" there was no need to do anything special to have it present.
It is just there.

Someone got the idea of taking advantage of this matrixed information.  Hi
Fi VCRs made it even better.  You started to see receivers with 4 amps two
front and two less powerful rear channels.  Early versions only had a preamp
out for the center channel.

Higher end Pioneer receivers offered a delay to the rear speakers.  Until
your post I always wondered why my system which had an early high end
Pioneer receiver with Pro-logic but just decent sounded so good to people
when I had them over to watch a movie.  It was the delay.

Since I just bought a THX/DTS Onkyo receiver, of course they had to come out
with THX-EX and even DTS EX to make my unit obsolete!

Larry