* "Don Capps" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  on Sun, 28 Jan 2001
| Actually Mark, this isn't accurate. THX is not a type of surround
| processing. The two surround formats which superceded Dolby Pro Logic are
| Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS 5.1.

Some relatively minor points.  Dolby Digital was originally called AC3 for
home systems (just FYI).  Both AC3 and dts (they use lowercase letters for
their abbreviation) are independant of the number of channels.  Both can
have up to six discrete channels -- left, right, center, left rear, right
rear, center rear -- plus subwoofer crossover.

DVD-Video in the US requires AC3 minimum for audio; Europe and other
regions require MPEG-1 Layer III audio minimum.

Reason I mention all of this is because most of the Sean Connery "James
Bond" DVD-Video releases are mono, and I have a bunch stuff that is stereo
(two channel).  All are Dolby Digital.  The US release of "Gladiator" is a
good example to look at, because it describes exactly what the different
encodings are capable of achieving, with 6.1 surround using dts-es, 5.1
surround using AC3, and 2.0 surround using Dolby Surround, the last of
which is actually encoded on the disc with AC3 and converted to analog at
playback time for use in Pro Logic receivers.
--
Rat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>    \ Happy Fun Ball may stick to certain types
Minion of Nathan - Nathan says Hi! \ of skin.