At the beginning of MD, Sony sold a portable recorder with digital
optical out. Nowaday, the only equipments that have digital out capacity are
MD decks. They very often have optical out but the high-end decks have
TOSLink and S/PDIF.
Concerning me, the only equipment with digital out I own is a Sony JE 530
(excellent deck) that has one optical out only.

Don Capps a *crit :