On Mon, 29 Jan 2001 11:20:13 -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>  Neil wrote:
>
>  > That really should read DD-EX, as EX is a development of Dolby Digital
>  > sound.
>
>  But that's not what they are listing it as on the receiver.  It says
THX-EX.

Regardless of what it says on the receiver, the sound format is DD-EX (a
derivative or development of Dolby Digital Surround Sound). THX is merely a
certification standard for the equipment - it in no way is a different sound
format to either DD-EX or any other form of DD.

> In
> the case of dts, I have  DVD in front of me and they call it dtsES.

DTS tends to be written in lower case - agreed. My only point being that
THX, does not in itself imply or define any difference in the sound format -
that's not what it is. Perhaps some manufacturers are abusing the concept, I
don't know - but the sound format(s) are Dolby creations - check their
website for details.

The THX thing is purely a standard or certification for the kit.

Neil