From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of
Dan Frakes
Sent: Thursday, February 01, 2001 9:22 PM
To: MDList
Subject: Re: MD: MD Better??

Anthony Lalande <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>First of all, "ease of editing" requires the proper editing hardware.
>If you compare the ease of editing on a MD Player/Recorder with the
>ease of editing on a computer hooked up to a CD burner, I'd pick the
>computer any day. MD brings simple editing to the masses, and
>computers bring power to the pros. I'm not saying your statement is
>wrong, but I don't think it's completely accurate either.

I personally call preparing songs for burning on a computer "creating" or
"preparing." IMO, "editing" is what you do with something after it's been
created.

CD can't be edited, MD can. If you burn a CD and later want to change it,
you have to redo it from scratch. In my book, MD blows CD away for
editing (and I say that as someone who has both MD and CD-R).

>Second, "long play modes". There are some CDs that can hold up to 80
>minutes of music. MDs can go beyond 80 minutes, but at the cost of
>audio quality (<i.e.:> mono mode or LP-2, LP-4, etc...).

Actually, from every report I've found, LP2 has sound very comparable to
standard MD when used as a portable medium.

>And of course if you want to sacrifice audio quality and
>compatibility (where the MD can be played) in favour of recording
>time, you can do the same by burning MP3s onto CD, which effectively
>sacrifices audio quality and vastly reduces compatibility, so it's a
>fair comparison.

When you burn MP3's onto CD (not by converting them to CD Audio, but by
keeping them as MP3), the only way you can play them back is on the
computer or in a specialized CD player -- those players are novelties,
and often cannot playback all MP3 files. If you have a MiniDisc recorder
(especially a portable) that records in LP2 mode, you can take that
portable with you and play it, or you can play the MD back on any newer
MD player with LP mode. Granted, some people won't have a portable with
long play mode, but at least LP is the standard now, and an LP unit will
play back any MD recorded in LP mode. Plus a CD with MP3s doesn't sound
as good as a MiniDisc recorded in LP2 mode.