John Small wrote,

| BTW, can you play back the 940 non-LP MD's on a prior generation player and
| get the same quality benefits?

First, it's not a matter of LP or SP discs, but of LP or SP tracks; tracks
recorded in different modes can coexist on the same disc.

Generally, you'll get the effects of the recording machine's ATRAC version,
but those of the player's DSP and DAC.  So it depends on which has improved
more between the older unit and the newer one.

| I am concerned about the 2x cost (of the 940) over the 440.  But if the
| sound and build quality are there I might go for it.

It was about 1.5x for me, since I got a good price on the 940.  But since
the 440 has no digital output and no headphone jack, I didn't want it.  I
*wanted* the 640, which has those plus keyboard input, and based on early
releases of the specs would weigh less and consumer less power than the 940,
but the 640 was never to be sold in my homeland, and being able to get
service for it is paramount to me.  When a J&R rep offered me the JB940 at
$US 296, I bit.  At $399 I would not have bought it.

The build quality is probably the same; the 940 is advertised as having a 100
dB SNR, while that of the 440 is something like 96 dB.  Some advertising has
stated that the 940 has a current-pulse DAC; others have said it's hybrid-
pulse, which apparently is something less impressive.