i've had similar experiences with fairly simple music. on a recording of
solo turkish ney (flute), there are a few moments where there is a very
noticeable squeaky noise high above the instrument. i was surprised, since
flute is an extremely pure sound, very close to a sine wave. on a recording
of brave old world's "rufn di kinder aheym"--bass clarinet & accordion
only-- at the beginning there's a slow volume swell, which md did in much
less subtle steps rather than a smooth crescendo. both were recorded
digitally from cd, & i noticed both without even trying. these were very
noticeable artifacts. my solution has been the same, to make cd-r's of each
of these recordings. in general md is fine (in fact i prefer its
convenience & size).

peter