>  Newer CD decks also
>have the 20 bit (and some with 24 bit) resolution so the analogy on that
>issue isn't totally accurate (although I believe all computer burners are
>still just 16 bit so still a good point).

The CD, as originally developed by Philips and Sony, only has enough bits
for 16-bit resolution, but Pacific Microsonics came up with a way to hide
4 more bits in the audio to allow 20-bit resolution.  Problem is, very few
CDs are recorded this way, so practically all discs are recorded at 16-bit
resolution.  Also, there are not very many CD players that have the Pacific
Microsonics decoder, so most decks only extract 16-bit resolution.

Many CD decks now output 20 or even 24 bits.  This allows them to more accurately
represent the output of high precison DSP calculations in the digital anti-alias
filter, but in practically all players, the input to the anti-alias filter is 16-bits.

Contrast this with MD, where the format natively defines 20-bit resolution (16-bits
+ 4-bits scale factor).

S/PDIF allows up to 24-bits.  In fact, if you look at it on the 'scope and count bits,
there are 32-bits, but the other 8 are for framing and non-audio.