>In fact, MD copy
>has the following characteristics: obviously less dynamics, very poor bass
 >and Jazz devil has plenty of it), narrow stereo image, and in general
>flatten sound picture.

I wonder if you were hearing effects of the MD's analog section rather than problems
with the ATRAC?

I used to have a Carver DTL CD player.  It seemed to have a slight lack of bass, so I
got out the test CD and 'scope.  As expected,  I found quite a bit if "tilt" on the
1000 Hz
square wave signal and I suspected an undersized coupling capacitor, so I probed
around until I found the guilty part.  I increased its value 10X and the problem
went away.  My point is don't indict ATRAC or MD in general for a problem caused
elsewhere;  use an external D/A converter, preferably the same one for the CD in the
A/B test.

MD does not use "joint stereo" (except LP4 mode); it records left and right channels
separately, so there should be no reason that the stereo image should be narrower.
In actuality, MD has 16 bit resolution companded by the scale factor to 20 bits, so a
properly operating MD should be capable of up to 24 dB *more* dynamic range than a CD.