I guess there are two questions which need to be answered...

1) Electrical- does the remote's circuitry use any of the headphone plug
contacts, most likely, does it use the common ground contact in addition
to those on the remote connector part.  If so then youre scuppered, but
the two parts of the plug may be electrically seperate, ie the remote may
have its own ground contact.

2) Mechanical- is the remote contact strong enough to withstand normal
use on the move without the 3.5mm plug to provide a sort of anchor.

As the only remote I have used is the ancient R3 one (a simple resistor
network without backlit displays and the like), I'm afraid I can't
answer either question myself.  Oh well, best of luck, someone is sure
to come up with something here.

PrinceGaz.

========