i also had a hard time getting a battery to charge on my 702. i had a
universal adapter & tried both 4.5V & 6V, but neither would work (6V would
charge a little, 4.5V not at all). my 702 never complained about the
voltage; it just didn't charge. then i added the 5V simple regulator
circuit (see http://minidisc.org/5v_regulator.html), bumped the power from
the AC adapter to 7.5V (the circuit loses a bit in the reduction) & all
works well. i suspect that your variable transformer either wasn't putting
out the full 800mA the 702 needs to charge, or wasn't quite 5V.

hope this helps
peter