this is what i would do.

if the mixer you're using has *optical* out, then hook up the optical cable
that came with your recorder to the mixer and hit record.

if you don't have optical out, it's more work, but not much. i've had the
unit you're speaking of, so what you need to do is go to radio shack, and
get a y-cable. it's a cable that RCA (red and black) at one end, and a
mini-input (to go into the MD) on the other.

Plug the MD end into the *white* input and not the red(mic) input. If you
plug it into mic, it will get recorded very loud.

Record at a comfortable level. The minidisc allows for input sound level
adjustement, but try to use the controls on the mixer for this. it's easier.
Do a test and record the loudest sounds your band would make, and set that
as your limit. Everything else will fall below that. This is important, so
your recording won't clip and sound distorted. You can always make it louder
later in the computer, but if it distorts, you can't fix it.

I personally prefer Sound Forge to cooledit. I think it's much more useful
for digital audio manipulation. Digitize the MD recording into your
computer. Burn a copy of it as one long track. Listen to it on your stereo.
Note if it needs to be re-EQd. If some parts are too low, or too high. Here,
people tend to "normalize" the file, but be careful not to tweak things too
much. Overdoing, sucks the life out of the recording and makes it sound
kinda fake-like.

The last part, is burning the final product. I recommend getting a program
called CDWAVE. It's shareware and you should be able to download it easily.
If you can't, email me and i'll send it to you. It's a very small program,
but it's like a digital cutter. You can insert track marks where you want,
and cut. Be sure to burn your final CD with the Disc At Once (and not track
at once) setting. This will ensure that you don't have that 2 minute gap.
People can skip forward and back, but it will play like one long
uninterrupted concert. You can do the fade-in, fade-out thing, but that's up
to you.

Can we buy a copy?