Thanks to Peter, Timothy, and Chad for clearing it up for me.

Speaking of SRCs, Peter told [EMAIL PROTECTED],

J> your recorder probably can already convert from 48kHz, but not 96kHz. this
J> is built into almost every model i can think of.

My MZ-R3 has no SRC and requires 44.1-kHz input, but it was not a new model
when I bought it five years ago.  (Seems so much longer.)

Chad wrote,

G> What I was trying to say is that when you convert with a DAC, you are
G> turning the digital code (not sound, just code) into something else entire,
G> where as with resampling you are just turning one digital string of code
G> into another string of code; simple mathmatics.

And I was trying to say that it's the same mathematics as the mathematical
aspects of DACs and ADCs, but it turns out there is so much more to d-a and
a-d conversion that the mathematical portion is negligible in most people's
perspectives (while in SRCs the math is the only thing going on), so nobody
else saw it that way, and I didn't understand why.