I have been using a Sony MZ-R30 since it was released for recording
on-location material for radio commercials.  Using a Sony one-point stereo
microphone, I have had, and continue to have, excellent results.  I am
thinking of buying a new recorder and I am a little confused by the new
models.  ATRAC version, for example.  The newer models don't seem to specify
what version is being used.  The size or battery drain isn't as important to
me as the sound of the recording.  I also recall reading that some of the
models generate mechanical noise when recording.  I edit the material on Sony
decks.  What would you buy?  Thanks!  Jerry