When Steve Corey wrote,

: I would also like to join the "AVLS is Stupid" crowd

and I replied,

> I'll wave to you from across the aisle, where I sit with the "AVLS Is for
> the Stupid" crowd.

Jim Coon responded, totally mixed up,

| I have to disagree with you on this.  I find AVLS very useful, It allows
| me to record something quickly, without having to mess with the record
| level.  ...   The Sony lets me do that, and I also have the ability to
| change to manual level control if I want to.

Jim: Taky Cheung's right, incantelu's right, Francisco Huerta's right, and
I'm right.  You're right about AGC but wrong about AVLS.

AVLS (for Automatic Volume Limiter System) is Sony's term for the feature
that keeps a user from turning the headphone volume up too loud.  I say that
it is for the stupid because the rest of us can set our listening volumes
without need to be restrained electronically from self-inflicted harm.