Taky wrote,

| I found AVLS stupid because the volume from the little portable MD
| player isn't loud enough. There is no need to limit the volume. Maybe i'm
| getting deaf, I most of the tiem have to turn up to 90% of the volume.

... which is higher than AVLS allows!

For tabletop speakers, my portables are too underpowered and I need to turn
them up nearly or fully to the maximum volume, which means AVLS has to be
off.  With headphones, however, they can get loud enough to hurt my delicate
ears; still, it takes no genius to soften the volume without needing Sony to
keep me from turning it up too high in the first place.  Sheesh -- anyone
capable of turning AVLS on is capable of cutting the volume!