Gerard wrote,

| I own a JVC XM-R70, which ever since I bought it have not had one single
| complaint. In anyway, when I listen to a MD without skipping around too
| much, I notice that the md starts playing the desired track. Then it reads
| like crazy for say 10 seconds. Then suddenly it stops all mechanical
| movement completely (while the music is still playing). It continues to play
| music for a while (+/- 30 seconds), then it spins up again for a while, then
| shuts down again. This continues for the duration of the disc. The unit also
| has a built in 40 second anti-shock. Does this mean the unit buffers more
| than 40 seconds, maybe like even 1:30, and only spins up when it needs more
| data? (While keeping a anti shock buffer as well).

If it spins for ten seconds and is quiet for thirty seconds, that totals
forty seconds, the size of the buffer.  I don't see how you calculated 1:30.

It's also possible that you notice the mechanical noise only when a track is
fragmented or when the playing sequence requires significant shifts across
the disc surface.  When the next forty seconds' worth physically follow imme-
diately where the current forty seconds' worth end, there is no head position
shift to go with the spin-up, so it's harder to hear.