First of all:

>If it spins for ten seconds and is quiet for thirty seconds, that totals
>forty seconds, the size of the buffer.  I don't see how you calculated
1:30.

Sorry, I wasn't being specific. I was merely trying to say that I think it
buffers more than 40 seconds. It always has a buffer of 40 seconds, but it
appears almost like it has a secondary buffer, and that it does burst-buffer
type read/writes. The 10 second and 30 second figures were just used as
examples.

>It's also possible that you notice the mechanical noise only when a track
is
>fragmented or when the playing sequence requires significant shifts across
>the disc surface.  When the next forty seconds' worth physically follow
imme-
>diately where the current forty seconds' worth end, there is no head
position
>shift to go with the spin-up, so it's harder to hear.

It is definitely not a fragmented disc. It is a cd I copied digitally from
start to end. I'm sorry to say that the unit is not very quiet, so because
of this it is very apparent when the disc actually spins, and when not.

Cheers.

Gerard Naude
E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]