What you seeing with bursts of activity by the mech is to do with the 40
second shock memory. The memory is not only to take account of bad reading
of the disc due to vibration but it allows the mech to save power and in
the case of battery operated devices save significant amounts of power.

This burst of activity also happens on record (On my SONY MRZ-50) and
sometimes ruining recordings. I record birdsong and have to have the
recorder well insulated sound wise from the microphone otherwise the manic
whirring of the mech is piucked up on the recording.

br
keith parker
<<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>>
<<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>>