I see a large contigient of people bashing AVLS... and for the most part I
have to agree that it is a dud, but it does have one practical use...

When hooking up a portable to a Sony shelf system with the MD Walkman link
(with the link cable that looks like a remote plug at both ends), the volume
on the portable is supposed to be set at the maximum AVLS volume level to
match the input level on the stereo.

This really is the only good use of AVLS I know of... but because of it, I
certainly hope they don't remove it...

--Brian Youn--
The University of Texas at Austin
Electrical and Computer Engineering, 5th Year