On Tue, 27 Mar 2001, Chad Gombosi wrote:

> >Hi there,
> >
> >has anybody tested the Elektor SCMS Stripper with DVDs ? Does it work ?
>
> In what way? DVDs don't use SCMS do they?

I don't know if they use SCMS, but they use something. You can not copy
DVDs onto most VHS recorders these days because they're protected. Of
course, there are programs that disable copy protection on DVD (email me
privately and i'll sort you out if you're into that) and so if you have a
DVD drive in computer with a board that has rca video and audio outputs,
you can copy DVD onto VHS. If you're tired of the bad dvd selection at
your rental store, and don't want to buy every movie you want to watch, I
highly recommend netflix.com. They have some really great concerts too
which you can of course record onto minidisc. I record some movies (those
that have good sounds in them) onto minidisc on the MDLP setting and use
them for samples. Movies likes 13th warrior or U-571 have some really
great samples in them and they come clean off of DVD.

There are also programs that can "rip" dvd tracks, and yet other programs
that can convert that ripped file to AVI, or VCD-spec mpeg1 for burning
VCDs (which most DVD players can play). I've learned and used them. They
work, but they are *very* slow. mainly because they are built by hackers
around codecs that were originally built for other programs such as adobe
premier.