> > >Hi there,
> > >
> > >has anybody tested the Elektor SCMS Stripper with DVDs ? Does it work ?
> >
> > In what way? DVDs don't use SCMS do they?
> >

>I don't know if they use SCMS, but they use something. You can not copy
>DVDs onto most VHS recorders these days because they're protected.

That's macrovison man. A totally analogue copy protection scheme that's been
around since the late 80s at least, not just on DVD, but VHS as well. It is
a bunch of gobly gook that resided in the vertical blanking buffer on old
VHS tapes that screws up the signal for copies, but not laserdisc (since
that part of the signal is used for time info). In DVDs it is actually
generated by the hardware (I assume) since it's possible to turn it on and
off.

Chad Gombosi
Member SCP www.scponline.net
Chad's Game Music Page www.chadsgamemusic.com
MP3.com page: www.mp3.com/signofzeta

"Let me explain a couple of things. Time is short. That's the
first thing. For the weasel, Time is a weasel. For the hero,
Time is heroic. For the whore, Time is just another trick.
If you're gentle, your Time is gentle. If you're in a hurry,
Time flies. Time is a servant, if you are its master. Time
is your god, if you are its dog. We are the creators of Time,
the victims of Time, and the killers of Time. Time is timeless.
That's the second thing. You are the clock, Cassiel."

Emit - Far Away So Close