> Well,
> I think anyone who buys Iomega products deserves the shafting
> they get with
> the inferior products:
> Here's Iomega's MD competetor:
> http://www.iomega.com/hipzip/index.html
> $299, with 40MB (20 minutes of 256kbps MP3) media costing $10.
> Wow, they are
> REAL cool! </sarcasm>

I use an iomega 2 gig external jaz drive and it works great. Iomega makes
good products. You can't expect them to come out with an mp3 player at
prices much lower than what market forces dictate. If they did that, people
might think it's cheap stuff. Although I agree that the hipzip is for
suckers.

This is the same reason that Sony is selling that MD-video thing for $2500,
when most *digital* video cameras cost so much less. I don't expect data-MD
to be pushed heavily for at least a couple of years. That camera is pretty
much a public prototype for now. Memory stick is sony's current strategy.
It's at the core of their whole cross-product compatible
computer/audio/still video thing.

Maybe as firewire and consumer-level digital video grows on the PC front,
this kind of MD-video thing will catch on more. But still, 20 minutes is not
much recording time.