I'm finally thinking about replacing my 7 year old Acorn RISC PC*
with a shiny new laptop, and am looking at the Dell Inpsiron 8000.
Anyway, I've heard that it's possible to get an SP/DIF output from it
- possibly by sticking some sort of adaptor on the SVideo port
(or something). Is this true, and can I adapt it to a regular optical
out connection which I can plug into my Sharp 831?

*For the benefit of non-Brits, Acorn is a (now defunct) computer
manafacturer, who started producing RISC based computers in 1987,
running a superfast, super-reliable, super-easy-to-use (mostly
hand-coded in pure assembler) operating system called RISC OS. (its
so efficient, in everyday operation, my 40mhz, 10mb Acorn still does
most things faster than the 700mhz PCs at uni, and its so
stable one user reported 7 YEARS without a crash). However,
I need to replace it due to compatibility issues. For those familiar
with chip designers ARM ltd, it was Acorn who designed the original
ARM chips, and ended up spinning off the company as a separate
entity. Fortunately, ARM had somewhat more business savvy than Acorn.

        Robin.