on 5/8/01 11:41 PM, Chad Gombosi at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Well the wierd thing here is that you must have been buying these G3s when
> they were rather old because there has never been a G3 with a list price of
> less than $1000 US from Apple, this price would have had to have been from a
> retailer with a good mark down sale.
>
> With this is mind, I'm left wondering how old the Mac was at the time,
> compared to the PC.

He's describing the current low end iMac. And that price is the current
price from Apple's online store. (No markdown.)

> Basicly right now a top of the line G4 will run you about $3000 (no
> monitor). It's hard to spend that much on a PC if you tried, without getting
> RAID arrays and high-end server cases with multiple power supplies, quad
> proccessors etc.

For the last couple of years, Macs have been competitively priced in
comparison to first and second tier Wintel machines. But there's no way they
can beat the price of el-cheapo vendors and hand-built machines. (In the
case of a hand-built machine, there's no labor involved in the price paid.
So how much is your time worth?)

I just bought a new PowerBook G4 with a 500 MHz processor and as little RAM
and the smallest hard drive Apple ships in it. Then I added third party RAM
and a different hard drive. The end result is that I spent a couple hundred
less than Apple's loaded configuration and I wound up with a twice and much
RAM and a bigger, faster hard drive to boot.

In short, it IS possible to overspend on a Mac. But it's also possible to
configure a Mac at highly competitive prices.

 Ed "What the" Heckman                             [EMAIL PROTECTED]