> From what I understand, you cant control an MD portable like
> that (although
> I bet there is some DIY approach to it, but thats not what
> we're on about
> here), what it means is a proper 6 or 10 MD or CD changer,

Agreed.  I looked for a way to hook my MD portable up to the MD/CD changer
inputs on a Sony CD head-unit for ages.  I eventually gave up.

The fact that on the back of every Sony head-unit with changer control there
are RCA inputs makes it all the more frustrating - it *seems* so simple to
connect an MD portable up to the inputs!  Unfortunately, however, if the
changer bus input is not connected to a Sony CD or MD changer, the head-unit
will simply not recognise the RCA inputs and it won't allow you to switch to
them.  I assume the same applies to those Sony head-units with optical
inputs for the changers - you still need to have the bus connected.

As Stuart said, there will be some DIY way of engineering something - either
to fool the head-unit into thinking that a changer is connected, or to
modify the internal switch inside the head-unit, but I've no idea how, I've
never found anyone who's done it, and it would certainly invalidate all
warranties etc etc etc.

The problem is: MD changers aren't cheap (or widely available).  One
solution, if you can get your hands on a cheap (e.g. second-hand) Sony CD
changer would be to connect the bus up to the CD changer, but connect the
RCAs up to the MD portable.

That way the headunit *would* switch to the changer, although the controls
would relate to the changer.  The portable could play through the inputs
when the headunit was in changer mode.  If it seems like a waste of a
changer, you could wire in some switch into the RCAs so that although the
bus was always connected to the changer, the RCAs could be switched between
the changer and the MD portable.  This would come at the price of sound
quality, of course.

Personally, I just assembled the doleros and bought a Sony MD headunit (last
year's 6500 model - NZ$800 (c.US$400) but worth every penny as it sounds
superb - one day I'll find the time to write up a review of this unit....).
Much easier than the hassles of an in-car portable and much better sound
quality.  I eventually found a cheap Sony CD changer as well (they're
reasonably easy to pick up second-hand here) and I have to say the MD format
lends itself to being bounced around the inside of a car than CDs!

HTH

Richard Lang
Senior Solicitor

Duncan Cotterill
Christchurch, New Zealand

email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
tel: (++64)-3-379-2430  fax: (++64)-3-379-7097
http://www.duncancotterill.com

> > I just bought a Mobile Sony radio/cassete deck with CD/MD
> changer control
> capabilities and
> > tried the following:
> >     The Mobile head unit's got RCA inputs at the back and I
> connected a
> RCA cable to it to
> >     connect to my portable Sony MD,

This communication contains information that is confidential and which may be subject
to legal privilege or subject to copyright.  If you are not the intended recipient,
you must not use, distribute or copy the contents of this communication.  If you have
received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by reply e-mail,
facsimile or collect telephone call to +64 3 379 2430 and destroy the original.  We
virus scan all e-mails and electronic media but are not responsible for any virus or
alternation.