* Timothy Stockman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  on Thu, 07 Jun 2001
| In fact, that information *is* on the the S/PDIF digital audio signal
| coming from the digital output of a CD player (assuming the disc is
| encoded with CD text).  All of the subchannel bits except "P" are sent
| via the "usr bits" of the S/PDIF stream.  I don't know of any computer
| hardware that uses the user bits, though.

Specifically, the R through W subcode channels, which had been previously
"reserved for future use".

All subcode channel bits can be sent.  Hypothetically.  In practice this is
not the case.  If it were then Sony's "joint text" players and recorders
would not need a special cable to carry the information.
--
Rat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>    \ Do not use Happy Fun Ball on concrete.
Minion of Nathan - Nathan says Hi! \