> From: Stainless Steel Rat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> * Timothy Stockman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  on Thu, 07 Jun 2001
> | In fact, that information *is* on the the S/PDIF digital audio signal
> | coming from the digital output of a CD player (assuming the disc is
> | encoded with CD text).  All of the subchannel bits except "P" are sent
> | via the "usr bits" of the S/PDIF stream.  I don't know of any computer
> | hardware that uses the user bits, though.
>
> Specifically, the R through W subcode channels, which had been previously
> "reserved for future use".
>
> All subcode channel bits can be sent.  Hypothetically.  In
> practice this is
> not the case.  If it were then Sony's "joint text" players and recorders
> would not need a special cable to carry the information.

Correct. Most of Sony's CD control chips datasheets are available on the
web.
If you read any one of them (I've read them all, looking for precisely this
info) you will see that none of them include the subchannels in their SPDIF
output. Ironic, since they co-authored the standard. Or Moronic...

  -- Howard Chu