Luis Dodero wrote:

> Hi, I was just curious: if the new Sony MD's can record to buffer memory
> first then spin up the disc and do a fast write (data save) and stop the
> disc again to conserve battery...couldn't there be some way of making 2X or
> 4X recordables? I mean, I know obviously it's not as easy as it would be to
> do on the 4X deck, but maybe some sort of USB port with a winamp plugin that
> speeds up the audio output? Is this possible?
> Thanks
> -Luis

I'm not quite sure what you are asking.  Multi speed MD recorders already
exist.  I don't know much about them.  I believe they involve CD/MD decks.

Unless you have a source that is in sync with the MD recorder the speed of the
input will not match the recording.

A stand alone MD recorder only has an input that accepts PCM.  PCM is the
standard digital input and output in both CD and MD.  As well as digital sound
cards.

I always think, is it really important how long it takes to make an MD?  What if
you could load 3 CDs into a unit and 3 MDs.  Press one button and leave for
work.  When you get home you have three finished MD copies.

Sure it's all done in real time but not "your" time.

Larry