There seems to be a lot of them up on ebay for very cheap. Before I
splash out on one, I want a few details on them

Is the optical output actually 44.1kHz (Unlike the SB lives)
Basically, if I was to send a PCM .WAV file out the output looped to the
input would it be bit for bit accurate?

Also, how does it cope if recording from one source while playing? Which
clock is used for the output, the one its getting from the optical in,
or the internal one?

I'm looking for a card that I can have a machine dedicated to running
winamp DSP plugins from linein-lineout - all attempts so far have come
unstuck with the sources being clocked differently, I get skips
occasionally.

I use audiostocker when Im dubbing to MD to drop the dynamic range down
so that it is listeneable in the car.