Well, I have got 3 of these types of cards in the house (two are on
motherboards, but ah well) so i'll do my best

> There seems to be a lot of them up on ebay for very cheap. Before I
> splash out on one, I want a few details on them
>
> Is the optical output actually 44.1kHz (Unlike the SB lives)
> Basically, if I was to send a PCM .WAV file out the output looped to the
> input would it be bit for bit accurate?

Its is 44.1khz, not 48 as outputted by the SB Live series

> Also, how does it cope if recording from one source while playing?

Depends in what way you mean. If you are meaning monitoring whats coming in,
then yes, this is possible, but if you mean playing something different from
what you are recording, I am not sure.

 Which
> clock is used for the output, the one its getting from the optical in,
> or the internal one?

I believe it is the internal one

> I'm looking for a card that I can have a machine dedicated to running
> winamp DSP plugins from linein-lineout - all attempts so far have come
> unstuck with the sources being clocked differently, I get skips
> occasionally.

I dont think its the clock thats skipping it, its the way that Windows runs
its audio. You are likely to get skips in it when running windows, so unless
you have tried this with a different OS, i believe that is what is causing
the skips

> I use audiostocker when Im dubbing to MD to drop the dynamic range down
> so that it is listeneable in the car.

Now, dont take this as gospel, its from experience with card hands-on and
also reading a bit about it, I would still check the card out yourself
thought to make sure.

Stuart Howlette
"There are many questions in life, but is the right answer only correct
because the majority believe in it?"
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.liquid2k.com/stuh84/
http://www.liquid2k.com/stuh84/personal/