At 19:31 11/07/01 -0500, you wrote:

>Anyone know where to get an inexpensive AC adapter for a Sharp MD-MS702?
>
>Shawn

This is what I wrote is answer to a previous list message:

My experience with AC adaptors for use with a Sharp MD is that it is
necessary to get the regulated type if you want to record to MD and/or
charge NiMH batteries. Unregulated types just dip too much on the variable
loads an MD poses, so choose one with a regulated 5V 700mA output (or
whatever your MD needs).

Not being able to find a low-cost regulated unit, I made one by fitting an
LM340T-5 regulator inside an unregulated 9V 700mA brick and changing the
power connector on the output lead. If you try this route, you need to make
sure you have a good thermal connection between the regulator and a heat
sink because it may have to dump several Watts. Also, the dc power connector
that Sharp use is not one of the common sizes.

As a postscript, you can usually find sizeable piles of unregulated AC
adaptors in second-hand shops (also car-boot sales in the UK). Rake through
them until you find a suitable one.

Peter Rice