Gerry Morgan wrote:

> I hope that any
> future, "computer-literate" flavour of minidisc that might emerge will
> sound at least as good as what we have now. It does not necessarily follow
> that it will. My older (late 1950s and 1960s) LPs generally sound better
> than those from the 70s and 80s.

Hi Gerry,

I can't believe that your older LPs don't have audible ticks and pops.  My
vinyl collection (which I have been selling off) start in the early 60's.  I
had very good equipment.  But even right out of the shrink wrap I would always
hear some ticks and pops.

Don't get me wrong, I do understand when you say "sound" better.  Although most
CDs sound better to me (no ticks, pops, clicks, hum, etc.) I have had many CDs
that have what I can only describe as a "digital sound quality" to them.

Some of my LPs had a more "open", "full" sound.  This is all subjective of
course, but there was still the background noise.

The other problem with LPs is that no matter how careful you were with them,
having a stylus with even only a gram of weight pressing on the record caused
wear each time you played them.  They also ground dust into the grooves, even
if was only the microscopic dust in the air that fell on the LP as it was
playing.

LPs are also highly susceptible to temperature and other things that can result
in warping.  Their playing speed was also variable.  The majority of all but
the highest end turntables were belt driven.  This is a poor way to keep the
speed of the platter constant.

I have also found that music some movies (prerecorded, not home grown) with
Dolby Pro Logic and especially THX certified, often "sound" better to me than
CDs.  Again, there is a "fullness" to the sound.

The problem is that many movies seem to be encoded so that you can hear the
surround sound switching on and off.  You hear what sounds like a mono
recording of dialog coming out of the center channel then suddenly you have
surround sound and it sounds like someone only encoded certain portions of the
sound track.  That may have to do with the Dolby scheme.

Larry