I know that someone already mentioned this, but many of you are still missing the
point.  MD is an audio storage media.  It is completely self contained and capable
of recording live music via microphone or any standard analog line out and TOSlink
or mini plug digital PCM audio.

All you need is a tiny recorder, an inexpensive disc and almost any audio source.

MP3 is not a storage media.  It is only a compression scheme that requires a
computer and if you want to be able to take the audio with you either a CD writer
and blank CD plus a special player capable of playing MP3 files.  Your choices here
are very limited.

There is one car receive that I am aware of (there may be more, but they are not
very common).  It is expensive.  There a number of CD players that can play MP3
files, but again not many.  And there is less than a handful of DVD players (such
as the Apex AD600A) that will work.

Many of these devices have had problems playing back home grown discs.

The other option is to purchase a portable MP3 player.  Now there goes another $200
+ or -.  But you must get one with removable storage or it is a total waste.  So
you are paying about 50 cents to one dollar (USD) per MB.  But you still need a
computer to transfer your MP3 files to the static RAM.

MP3 is a compression scheme and really can't be compared to MD.  You would have to
compare it to ATRAC.  IMHO, ATRAC always sounds as good or better than MP3.

But this discussion is pointless from another aspect.  I think that most people
will agree that MP3s burned on to CDs have problems.  Depending upon the type of
player you have and the method that you used to copy the MP3 files, it may be
impossible for some CD/MP3 players to play your CDs.

So we really have to compare only solid state storage to MDs, since at this time
considering size, availability of players etc., they only reliable and readily
available and truly portable means of listening to MP3s is on solid state.

Until they make a Flash Card or Stick that costs about $2 for 200 MB there is
really no discussion.  If you want to state that solid state is a superior form of
storage than a mini disc, with the exception of price, I have no argument with
that.  Since there is no mechanical parts in the player, it is likely to be much
more reliable than an MD player..

You can shake it and it will not skip.  And if some company made one, you could
have a device just like an MD player, except it would use a memory card.  You could
still use ATRAC.

Like someone else said, my computer can't drive me to work or fly me to Europe.  It
wasn't made to do that.  It's just that simple when it comes to MD.  It is an audio
device and audio media.  It does that just fine.

LAS