"Eric Woudenberg, Minidisc.org Editor" wrote:

> macdef <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> You really need to use the same DAC and line amplifier to compare
> these two sources. Is it possible to try this experiment again with
> the CD signal being routed through the MD recorder while the MD unit
> is in REC-PAUSE (i.e. "monitor") mode? Ideally you'd take a digital
> signal from the CD. This way you can really compare the difference in
> the two sources.
>
> Rick

Rick, that's a very good point.  I have a theory that the converters are the weak
link in many chains.  They make professional individual ADC and DACs that cost
thousands of dollars, as you know.  I find it hard to believe that even a $2000
mini disc deck would have converters that could compete with individual multi
thousand dollar units.  Ditto the headphone amp.

The thing that bothers me is why should we expect the DAC in the CD player to be
that much better than the mini disc recorder?

The headphone amp could also make a difference, as you suggested.  The difference
between different units headphone amps from unit to unit could also make a major
difference.  I'm sure a high end CD deck will have a far superior amp than a
portable MD recorder.

But your suggestion is a good one.  By taking the digital output of the CD player
and running it through the MD player, you would be using the MDs DAC and headphone
amp.  Since ATRAC is encoded on to an MD during the recording phase, the PCM
signal should pass unaltered through the MD recorder and headphone amp.

Matching the exact volume of both units would also be critical since there is a
psychoacoustic effect where, all things being equal, the higher volume the better
the perceived quality of the sound.

I would love to see the data on tests done that way.

Larry