UPGRADE

I don't have an MD deck, but I do have an MD portable.  I previously had a
Sharp 831 but I was disappointed with the ATRAC artifacts the Sharp dsp was
giving me so I took it back to the store and exchanged it for a Sony R90 - I
personally believe the Sony ATRAC dsp is of a higher quality (I'm saying
nothing of the amp chips ...)
The store is unable to repair faulty MDs, and can only offer a replacement
unit.  My R90 is developing skipping problems so I am within my right as a
consumer to take it back to the store (I have a 3year warranty on it!) and
exchange it for a product with better anti-skip countermeasures.

So I can either exchange it for a Sharp model (because the Sharps I've used
are far better at anti-skip) or a Sony with G-Protection.

If the latter, I'll use it as an opportunity to get a Type-R dsp.  Simple as
that.

Which brings me to a question - have Sharp upgraded their ATRAC dsp since
the '831 or are they still using "Version 7" ?

Dave