FWIW, I think the Go team is right in favoring lower latency over
throughput of their GC given the expected usage scenarios for Go.

In fact, most of the (Hotspot based) Java GC horror stories involve very
long pauses (G1 and CMS not excluded) - I've yet to hear anyone complain
that their "Big Data" servers are too slow because the GC is chipping away
at throughput too much (most of those servers aren't CPU bound to begin
with or can't become CPU bound due to bottlenecks elsewhere).

In the Hotspot world, there's also the unfortunate situation right now
where G1 isn't really solving any problem nor advancing the performance
(latency) boundaries.  In fact, it taxes throughput quite heavily (e.g.
significantly more expensive write barriers) but isn't breaking any new
ground.

On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 11:38 PM Zellyn <zel...@gmail.com> wrote:

> You might be interested in this Golang-group follow-up thread too…
> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/golang-nuts/DyxPz-cQDe4
> (naturally a more pro-Go
> take on things…)
>
> On Wednesday, December 21, 2016 at 8:23:02 AM UTC-5, Greg Young wrote:
>
> Thought people on here would enjoy this
>

> https://medium.com/@octskyward/modern-garbage-collection-911ef4f8bd8e#.ptdzwcmq2
>

> --
>

> Studying for the Turing test