On 12/22/2016 03:05 PM, Remi Forax wrote:

    *De: *"Vitaly Davidovich" <vita...@gmail.com>
    *À: *mechanical-sympathy@googlegroups.com
    *Envoyé: *Jeudi 22 Décembre 2016 13:46:50
    *Objet: *Re: Modern Garbage Collection (good article)

    It's hard to interpret anecdotes for more than just that - an
    anecdote :).  Rewrites in general tend to be better (for some
    definition of better, performance included) even if done in the
    same language.

yes, it's just an anecdote.

    But, I think as a *principle* of favoring lower latency at the
    cost of throughput is the right choice for them and how they see
    Go being used.

I don't think it's a good long term strategy for Go even if it can be a good one for how Google uses Go now. There are a lot of tools written in Go, docker/kubernetes are maybe the poster children but for something like InfluxDB (disclaimer, they give me a t-shirt :) ) it's worrying.

Go changed its character mid-life. From being a systems language it morphed into a network service language. Frankly I don't see how they thought it could be a systems language while sporting a garbage collector.

It's fine for network services like docker, even those that need a high request rate (unlike docker). Not for a database.