Those are all good questions.. I also wonder if there is a tool to download all
the pages at their current version so you could flush the database and then
re-import the pages cleanly?

I don't really care about the history of these pages.. most of them are very
short and they history are tiny edits.. if anything the fact that it is so hard
to remove spam and vandalism because the design seems to favor history so much
is a detriment and places into the hands of the spammers.