On Sun, Feb 5, 2012 at 7:32 AM, Steve VanSlyck <s.vansl...@spamcop.net>wrote:

> An excellent question, Greg. Unfortunately the most common reply you will
> get will probably be "write one yourself."
>
> Creating GUI's seems for whatever reason to be outside the comfort level
> of most programmers.
>
> "Comment? Why would I comment my own code?"
>
> "Help? Why would I need a help file for my own program?"
>
> "Admin page? Why would I need an admin page to do stuff for me that I
> already know how to do?"
>
> See how it goes?
>

>  Why is there a reliance on manually editing LocalSettings.php and
>>  uploading it to the site? Why is there not an Admin page that edits  this
>> online?

If you think that the problem is that we don't want to create a GUI for the
configuration you're horribly mistaken. The problem is
backwards compatibly and complex configurations like in use at the
foundation. I can throw some radios and checkboxes on a special page in no
time, the problem is making it work, and work well (as well as not suck
like the Configure extension).

--
John