On May 17, 2014 2:13 PM, "Petr Bena" <benap...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't think this is a best extension for this, despite it kind of,
> is able to do similar things.
>
> Better would be to have some hook to parser itself and have it verify
> the syntax (which can be extended so even abuse filter doesn't know if
> it's valid or not, only parser does). Then a notification could be
> shown to user. In fact I don't know why we don't use something like
> that on our wikis as well

Improvements to the source editor like this would have a lot of impact in
reducing the amount of community time spent fixing newbie edits and
increasing learnability of the wiki syntax.

If this proposed extension used parsoid to validate the page, it could be
be invoked from the source editor using JS, like the VE editor.

It would give mediawikis a reason to install and contribute fixes to
parsoid even if they are not ready to install VE (or VE isnt ready to
support their wiki for whatever reason).

--
John