On 8 November 2015 at 10:43, Peter Presland <pe...@wikispooks.org> wrote:

> Among other things I am considering moving to the Apache event-MPM using
> php-fpm and mod_proxy_fcgi because it is claimed to half (or better)
> process memory usage and provide major cpu-related speed improvements
> over the old pre-fork-MSM - I understand that thread-safe issues have
> been addressed such that the setup is now close to the old pre-fork
> safety. I would welcome confirmation (or otherwise) of that from anyone.

I'm not aware of SMW-specific issues, but in general (a) PHP is the
fat part of the process in both memory and CPU time (b) fcgid is
reputedly very slightly slower, but this will be vastly overshadowed
by how fat PHP is.

The only reason I've ever found not to go full fcgid is that it's more
fiddly to set up and get right. The main benefit is not less use of
resources, but greater control over their use, i.e. if you run out of
fcgid workers then at least Apache is still up to serve everything
else.

(Is there any detail on these SMW-specific issues?)

- d.