When I have worked with php based websites. I try to avoid apache prefork
as that tends to be resource hungry.

Look into apache event or worker with php-fpm. You will notice a major
difference  and things will be quicker.

Prefork works on a single thread to process requests.

Where as event and worker have a parent thread that handles the initial
processing of the request then hands it off to a child thread
while starting on the next request.

Jonathan Aquilina