Hi all,

there is already a list of requested features which was distilled out of a
survey the MediaWiki Stakeholders' Group conducted a while ago [1]. We are
currently looking for funding by companies or other interested parties to get
items on this list done. However, to be honest, it's hard to convince someone
to fund a feature when it is totally unclear whether it makes its way into the
product after development.

This is why I am very delighted to hear about the formation of the Platform
Team, as there is now a team to coordinate with. At the very least, the team
adds predictability to the development of the core platform, which is something
extremely valuable for third party maintainers. I also read it as a statement
of the Foundation, that MediaWiki, as a software product, will be taken care of
in the forseeable future. This is encouraging and something to build on. I have
best hopes that it will become way easier now for external parties to
contribute to MediaWiki. The Stakeholders' Group is happy to play its part here.

All the best for the new team,

Markus
User:Mglaser
MediaWiki Stakeholders' Group